24 Nov Keep your clients goods moving in or out of the EU
If your clients move goods between Great Britain (GB) and countries in the European Union (EU), you might be affected when full customs controls come into effect on 1 January 2022.
If you or your clients have a specific question about importing, exporting or customs reliefs
Call our Customs and International Trade helpline on 0300 322 9434. The helpline is open from 8am to 10pm Monday to Friday and from 8am to 4pm at weekends. You can also send us your questions or contact us by webchat.
The Export Support Service is a new helpline for UK businesses to get answers to practical questions about exporting to Europe. The service is a ‘one-stop shop’ and brings together UK government information, making it easier for exporters to access advice and support.
Visit our HMRC YouTube channel
Our HMRC’s YouTube channel has videos and recorded webinars about customs processes and what your clients need to do before they trade goods with the EU.
Watch our Rules of Origin recorded webinar to understand the process and what your clients need to do if they buy from, send or sell goods to the EU.
Register now for our live webinars
We’ll explain existing guidance and answer general questions about the content. We’re unable to answer questions specific to the items your clients import or export on the webinars:
- Importing – steps you need to take before making your supplementary declaration – get advice on how to make a supplementary declaration and how intermediaries can help
- Customs Import Declarations: an overview – of the whole declarations process
- Exporting: what you need to do to keep your goods moving – covering zero-rated VAT, customs declarations, using an intermediary as well as licences, certificates, and authorisations
- Trader responsibilities when using an intermediary – your client’s responsibilities if using an intermediary to complete import or export declarations
- Importing food and drink, and animal products from the EU to Great Britain – DEFRA webinars about upcoming changes and how to register and use the import system IPAFFS (Import of Products, Animals, Food and Feed System).
You can also find webinars and videos from other government departments about trading with the EU.
- Download the trader checklist, read our updated guides or visit our customer forums.
- Sign up for the Trader Support Service if your clients are moving goods between GB and Northern Ireland. You, or your clients, can access online training modules and webinars for support with the Northern Ireland Protocol.
Protect yourself from scams
Stay vigilant about scams, which may mimic government messages as a way of appearing authentic. Search ‘scams’ on GOV.UK for information on how to recognise genuine HMRC contact. You can also forward suspicious emails claiming to be from HMRC to [email protected] and texts to 60599.
Access the National Cyber Security Centre’s new guide on how to stay secure online and protect yourself or your business against cyber crime by searching ‘Cyber Aware’ on GOV.UK.
Katherine Green and Sophie Dean – Directors General, Borders and Trade, HMRC